Sea buckthorn oil is an amazing plant with various benefits to humans. The fruits, the flowers, and the leaves of this wonderful plant are utilize in the preparation of medications as well as for various other purposes. Each part of this plant can be put to a different use.
The sea buckthorn is also known in various names such as Charma, Purging Thorn, Seedorn, Saule Epineux, etc. The sea buckthorn is a repository of fatty acids and the benefits of fatty acids are well known.
It is of importance that the fatty acids seen in sea buckthorn are special and that is what makes this herb uniquely important for mankind. Although scientific studies on the good effects of sea buckthorn fatty acid are limited.
It is a well-known fact that this amazing herb does provide a lot of beneficial uses. It is suggested that 20 g per day of this fruit or 300mL daily of juice may be an ideal dosage for maximum benefits from this plant.
In general, it is seen that the sea buckthorn fruit, oil extract, and seed are safe to be consumed for 90 days.
The side effects from consumption of sea buckthorn oil are far and few and rarely reported and may include a slight increase in blood pressure and headache.
It may occasionally cause rashes in some people when used for treating burns.
Let us take a look at some of the amazing benefits of sea buckthorn oil.
- Hair growth: Sea buckthorn is enriched with a lot of fatty acids, vitamin E, and vitamin A. This combination makes it a great choice for people who are looking for rejuvenating, treatment for hair loss, or even nourishing the scalp.
Blood circulation in the scalp will also increase with the usage of this oil thereby enhancing hair growth. It is hence no surprise that many hair care products contain sea buckthorn extract.
Although scientific studies connecting sea buckthorn with enhanced hair growth are rare, it is noticed that the ingredients presented in the Sea buckthorn oil foster hair growth.
- Anti-aging: Sea buckthorn consists of a lot of nutrients that foster cell regeneration and thereby reducing wrinkles. Sea buckthorn also protects the skin from harmful ultraviolet radiation. It strengthens the skin and makes it more youthful.
The anti-aging properties of sea buckthorn are famous and it helps in keeping the skin supple and wrinkle-free.
- Whether sea buckthorn oil helps in the treatment of acne and atopic dermatitis?
The benefits of sea buckthorn on the skin are well known worldwide. Sea buckthorn is effective in the treatment of acne and atopic dermatitis.
The anti-inflammatory properties of sea buckthorn are known to mitigate many skin conditions like atopic dermatitis.
Although the sea buckthorn is known for its anti-inflammatory, cell regeneration, and other beneficial properties, which makes it a great choice in the treatment of acne, scientific evidence is few.
Scientific studies to determine the efficacy of sea buckthorn in atopic dermatitis treatment are also rare.
- Vitamin C: Vitamin C is essentially the most important vitamin for boosting immunity and sea buckthorn is known to have large quantities of vitamin C and vitamin A, other carotenoids. This makes it an ideal choice for boosting immunity.
The high vitamin C content in sea buckthorn berries enhances immunity to a great extent in humans.
- General Health: As discussed earlier, sea buckthorn contains a variety of essential nutrients and vitamins, which helps in maintaining healthy conditions in human beings.
Sea buckthorn also prevents the formation of gas in the stomach as well as ulcers and promotes good health.
Sea buckthorn berries are excellent sources for vitamins and other nutrients for the maintenance of good health.
- Benefits to the heart from Sea buckthorn: The main heart problem faced by individuals is atherosclerosis, which is the formation of fat deposits in the blood vessels leading to heart failure.
Scientific studies have proved the benefits of sea buckthorn in reducing the formation of clots in the blood vessels and thereby preventing atherosclerosis.
The sea buckthorn also helps in decreasing the total cholesterol levels as well as LDL or bad cholesterol. Antioxidants present in sea buckthorn also play a significant role in maintaining the heart in good condition.
It is a proven fact that sea buckthorn can play an important role in the prevention of heart diseases, especially atherosclerosis. The antioxidants and other constituents in sea buckthorn hence reduce cholesterol levels, thus preventing cardiovascular diseases.
The effects of sea buckthorn on blood pressure are yet to be documented, and further studies are required to substantiate the effect of sea buckthorn on the cholesterol levels of healthy individuals.
- Improving bone health: A lot of studies have been carried out to find out the positive effects of sea buckthorn on bone health.
It is generally seen that consumption of sea buckthorn improves bone mineral density and hence including sea buckthorn in the diet makes give positive results.
Further scientific studies are needed to categorically prove the relation between sea buckthorn and bone health.
- Sea buckthorn as a liver supplement: Studies in rats proved that sea buckthorn oil improves liver function and damage the liver.
It is no surprise since as discussed above sea buckthorn oil contains healthy fats, a lot of vitamins, and also carotenoids, which are all good for the liver.
It is also reported in another study on people with cirrhosis that a significant percentage of the patients had improved levels of liver enzymes. This clearly shows the close association of sea buckthorn oil with liver function.
Studies have shown that sea buckthorn helps improve liver function. Further scientific studies are imperative to confirm the effects.
- Sea buckthorn helps in the fight against cancer: Sea buckthorn fruits are a rich source of antioxidants. Antioxidants provide excellent protection against various types of cancer.
Other constituents of sea buckthorn oil also play a prominent role in providing a protective effect against cancer. It is well established that quercetin, a flavonoid, which is abundant in sea buckthorn helps in the destruction of cancer cells.
It is also reported that the judicious use of sea buckthorn extract may prevent the spread of cancer cells. It should be born in mind that the effects of sea buckthorn described above are yet to be tested in human beings.
It is noticed that sea buckthorn oil contains certain compounds, which can be considered as potent fighters against cancer. However, it is imperative to state that further research in this field is essential to prove this point.
- Sea buckthorn as medication: Sea buckthorn provides a wide array of health benefits and may be considered as a medicine for some conditions like hypertension. But the combination of medications already being taken by an individual along with sea buckthorn could be dangerous for individuals.
For example, in cases where an individual is already on medication for hypertension, sea buckthorn intake may drastically reduce blood pressure to dangerously low levels.
Despite the positive effects of sea buckthorn care should be taken when sea buckthorn is consumed along with existing prescribed medication.
Random intake of sea buckthorn along with other medication may lead to complications.
For thousands of years, sea buckthorn has been used as a natural remedy against various diseases. Sea buckthorn can be applied to the skin or may be consumed.
Sea buckthorn provides a wide range of benefits that range from skincare to heart care. Studies have shown that sea buckthorn oil helps in improving the elasticity of the skin as well as provide the youthful texture to the skin.
It helps to reduce the formation of wrinkles and is used in the treatment of acne. The antioxidants and other flavonoids present in the sea buckthorn helps in maintaining a healthy heart and also prevent atherosclerosis.
Sea buckthorn prevents clot formation which again helps in the prevention of cardiovascular diseases. The most popular benefit of sea buckthorn is the positive effect it provides to hair growth.
From time immemorial the sea buckthorn oil has been used to promote hair growth. The anti-aging properties of sea buckthorn make it a popular choice amongst many adults.
The sea buckthorn berries are rich sources of flavonoids, antioxidants, and a wide range of vitamins which are all beneficial to humans.
Many studies have been conducted on rats and other animals on the efficacy of sea buckthorn against various ailments. Care needs to be exercised while consuming sea buckthorn in any form along with other medications.
A lot of research is yet to be carried out for establishing a direct relationship between sea buckthorn and the advantages cited above. It may be concluded that the advantages of sea buckthorn oil far outweigh the negative side effects.